Monday, March 06, 2006

The Versatile Henry Mancini


Henry Mancini has so many records in the cheap bins, I sometimes wonder if he had an exclusive distribution contract with Goodwill Industries. I usually buy them if I see them, but often they're duplicates of ones I already own. This was the most recent one I purchased which I had never seen. Someone wrote in ballpoint pen on the back cover FEB 1963, so that's about as close to a guess I can get on the date of the thing (UPDATE: Bob sent me this email....'THE VERSATILE HENRY MANCINI L.P WAS RELEASED JAN 1957'......thanks Bob)
This is an interesting session. He had a small group (Laurindo Almeida,guitar/Dominic Frontiere,accordion/Lou Maury,organ/Bob Bain,bass/Lulu Jean Norman,voice) and they played super mello classy "Topical Island" music.
Poinciana
Bali Ha'i
Flamingo
The Whispering Sea
Return To Paradise
The Naked Sea

The Breeze And I
Driftwood And Dreams
Moon Of Mankoora
Sleepy Lagoon
Ebb Tide
Off Shore

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff from Mancini. Heavy on the Hammond as always on his late 50's-early 60's releases...which is fine by me!

3:37 AM  
Blogger Vinyl Record LP said...

I am sorry to say non of the links work :o(

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home